GE Profile Ice Maker Review: Is It Worth the Splurge?
If you are a fan of nugget ice, also known as pellet ice or Sonic ice, you might have heard of the GE Profile Opal ice maker. This countertop appliance claims to produce soft, crunchy, and chewable nugget ice at home, without the need for a water hookup or a drain. But is it worth the hefty price tag? In this review, we will take a closer look at the features, performance, pros, and cons of the GE Profile Opal ice maker, and help you decide if it is the right choice for you.
What is Nugget Ice and Why is it So Popular?
Nugget ice is a type of ice that is made from compressed ice flakes, rather than frozen water cubes. It has a porous and airy texture, which makes it easy to bite and chew. Nugget ice is also known for its ability to absorb the flavor of the drinks it cools, enhancing the taste and enjoyment of beverages.
Nugget ice is popular among many people who love to crunch on ice, especially pregnant women, people with iron deficiency, and people with sensitive teeth. Nugget ice is also widely used in cocktail bars, cafes, and fast food chains, such as Sonic, where it is served with sodas, slushies, and iced teas.
What is the GE Profile Opal Ice Maker and How Does it Work?
The GE Profile Opal ice maker is a countertop appliance that can produce up to 24 pounds of nugget ice per day. It has a sleek and modern design, with a stainless steel exterior and a gray interior. It measures 16.5 by 13.4 by 17.5 inches and weighs 38 pounds, making it suitable for most kitchen counters.
The GE Profile Opal ice maker works by scraping ice flakes from a chilled cylinder and compressing them into small nuggets. It does not require a water hookup or a drain, as it uses a removable water reservoir that can hold up to 3 liters of water. The water reservoir is located on the side of the machine, making it easy to fill and clean. The ice maker also has a sensor that detects when the ice bin is full and stops making ice automatically.
The GE Profile Opal ice maker has a simple and intuitive control panel, with three buttons and four indicators. The power button turns the machine on and off, the clean button puts it in cleaning mode, and the light button controls the interior ice bin light. The indicators show the status of the machine, such as making ice, add water, defrosting, and cleaning. The machine also has a Wi-Fi icon that lights up when it is connected to the internet.
What are the Benefits of the GE Profile Opal Ice Maker?
The GE Profile Opal ice maker has several benefits that make it stand out from other ice makers on the market. Some of the benefits are:
- It makes nugget ice quickly and quietly. The machine can produce the first batch of ice in about 20 minutes, and can fill the ice bin (which can hold up to 3 pounds of ice) in about 3 hours. The machine is also relatively quiet, with a low hum that is not too disturbing.
- It is equipped with Wi-Fi and a mobile app. The machine can connect to your home Wi-Fi network and be controlled remotely via the GE Profile Opal app. The app allows you to schedule ice making, monitor water level, check ice status, and receive alerts and notifications. You can also use the app to create custom ice schedules, such as making ice at night or before a party.
- It has a sleek and attractive design. The machine has a stainless steel finish that matches most kitchen appliances and decor. It also has a transparent ice bin that lets you see the nugget ice inside. The ice bin light adds a touch of elegance and ambiance to the machine, and can be adjusted to high or dim settings.
- It is easy to use and maintain. The machine has a simple and user-friendly interface, with clear and informative indicators and buttons. The water reservoir is removable and easy to fill and clean. The machine also has a cleaning function that helps to remove scale and mineral buildup from the water system. The cleaning cycle takes about 90 minutes and requires a solution of water and vinegar or a specialized ice maker cleaner.
What are the Drawbacks of the GE Profile Opal Ice Maker?
The GE Profile Opal ice maker is not without its drawbacks, however. Some of the drawbacks are:
- It is expensive. The machine costs around $600, which is a lot more than most other ice makers on the market. While the nugget ice quality and the Wi-Fi connectivity may justify the price for some people, others may find it too pricey for their budget.
- It is bulky and heavy. The machine is not very portable, as it weighs 38 pounds and takes up a lot of counter space. It also needs to be plugged into a power outlet and have enough clearance around it for proper ventilation. If you want to move the machine or store it away, you will need to empty the water reservoir and the ice bin first.
- It does not have a water filter or a self-cleaning feature. The machine does not have a built-in water filter, which means that the quality of the ice depends on the quality of the water you use. If you use tap water, you may notice some impurities or odors in the ice. You may also need to clean the machine more often to prevent scale and mineral buildup. The machine does not have a self-cleaning feature, which means that you have to manually initiate the cleaning cycle and add the cleaning solution yourself.
- It does not have app push notifications or light scheduling. The machine does not send push notifications to your phone when the ice bin is full, the water reservoir is low, or the machine needs cleaning. You have to open the app and check the status yourself. The machine also does not have a light scheduling feature, which means that you cannot set the ice bin light to turn on or off at certain times of the day.
Is the GE Profile Opal Ice Maker Worth It?
The GE Profile Opal ice maker is a high-end appliance that can make delicious and satisfying nugget ice at home. It has a sleek and modern design, a Wi-Fi connection, and a mobile app that lets you control and monitor the machine remotely. It is also easy to use and maintain, and makes nugget ice quickly and quietly.
However, the machine is also very expensive, bulky, and heavy, and does not have some features that would make it more convenient and user-friendly, such as a water filter, a self-cleaning feature, app push notifications, and light scheduling.
Ultimately, the decision to buy the GE Profile Opal ice maker depends on your personal preference, budget, and lifestyle. If you love nugget ice and are willing to pay a premium for it, you may find the machine worth the splurge. If you are looking for a more affordable, portable, and versatile ice maker, you may want to look elsewhere.